Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Alternate Notes / "Riffs"
Isaac E. Offline
Founder / Head Administrator

Alternate Notes / "Riffs"
What are some of your favorite alternate notes or "riffs" (though this term is technically incorrect) that have been sung in the show? I love:

- Willemijn Verkaik's new "Things I've never felt"
- The turn on "team"
- Alexa Green's "This hat and YOU"
- "Too long I've been afraid of" - the new way, as sung by Marcie Dodd, Caissie Levy, etc.
- "So if you care to find meEEEeee" as sung by Shoshana Bean
- The last "Again" in "No Good Deed" as done by Dee Roscioli on Tour

Isaac Evans
Founder & Head Administrator
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 08:00 PM by Jessica B..)
01-08-2012 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jessica B. Offline
User

RE: Alternate Notes / "Riffs"
"Riffs" in Wicked aren't my cup of tea because to me they usually detract from the meaning and emotion of the song, but there are a few I like:

-Lisa Brescia's double "again" at the end of No Good Deed.
-Eden Espinosa's "want nothing else 'til I diiiiieee" in The Wizard and I.
-Kristin Chenoweth's high notes.

I like those because they make sense to me in the context of the songs.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 09:02 PM by Jessica B..)
01-08-2012 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defygravity777 Offline
User

I LOVE the Tell them how I riff in DG that Anne now does. Jenny D,Carmen,Eden,Nicole,Teal and Vicki have all done it in the past. I also love the enjoy riff in OSD that many of the girls are doing...Elphaba's AND Glinda's alike.

Changed for good on Oct 23,2010!!!

01-08-2012 08:05 PM
Christina D. Offline
Administrator

I've always loved Marcie Dodd's "and I" at the end of Wizard and I where she holds the same note instead of the standard "and I-I-I" riff. Felicia Ricci started doing it towards the end of the San Francisco run as well. Although it's not as fancy as the standard version, I appreciate that it's more difficult to sing.

Also, I'm one of the few, but I love Marcie's "things I've never FEEEEEEEEEEEEELT" she used to do on tour and as an understudy in Los Angeles where she'd hold it on a C#.

Another Marcie one she did in Los Angeles as Nessa was some kind of turn on "we deSERVE each other".

Fiama Fricano, an understudy for Madame Morrible in San Francisco, always hit the low G flat on "I'll write at once to the wiZARD". Most Morribles don't go that low.

Angel Reda once ended "I'm Not That Girl" by going down a 5th to the low A. If an actress can't hit the low E, I prefer they use the A instead of jumping the octave to the higher E.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2012 04:11 PM by Christina D..)
01-08-2012 08:20 PM
Isaac E. Offline

^ I do love how much vocal finesse the Dodd "never FELT" showed.

I am actually one of the few who liked the sound of Eden's "till I di-ie", but I felt it detracted from the moment.

Isaac Evans
01-08-2012 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jason Offline
Jason

Too many to count! I don't like it when actresses over riff, especially on "everyone deserves the chance to fly," but these Defying Gravity riffs work for me (and one The Wizard and I, lol!):

Donna Vivino and Eden Espinosa: "Feeling Thing I've Never Felt!"

Stephanie Torns, Idina Menzel, Kristy Cates, Jennifer Dinoia, Donna Vivino: First "Bring Me Down!"

Carmen Cusack, Kerry Ellis, Kristy Cates, Donna Vivino: "Look to the Western sky!"

Mandy Gonzalez, Teal Wicks (sometimes), Donna Vivino, Jackie Burns, Idina Menzel (sometimes), Shoshana Bean, Lisa Brescia: Second "Bring Me Down!"

Mandy Gonzalez, Mariand Torres, Donna Vivino, Carmen Cusack, Eden Espinosa, Shoshana Bean, Victoria Matlock, Caissie Levy: "Ahahaha!"
01-08-2012 09:24 PM
Christina D. Offline
Administrator

I've thought of another:

Megan Hilty's lift on "you didn't know you've crossed UN-til you've crossed" in Thank Goodness.

Christina D.
Managing Editor
Innuendo & Outuendo
01-09-2012 11:51 AM
Isaac E. Offline

Oh yes! I wish more of them (the belters especially) would do that one.

Isaac Evans
01-09-2012 11:52 AM
Jason Offline
Jason

Oh, and I loved when Mandy Gonzalez did the "Tell them hoOW IIii" riff (like the way Eden Espinosa did and Anne Brummel does). She did it the second time I saw her, and while it wasn't as pretty sounding as Anne's, it did add power. Also, Donna riffed up One Short Day at many points, which was refreshing.

Wicked Count: 56
Elphaba: Julia Murney, Mandy Gonzalez 3x, Donna Vivino (s/b) 2x, Jackie Burns 3x, Christine Dwyer 12x (lead and s/b), Alyssa Fox (s/b) 3x, Jennifer DiNoia (s/b and lead) 3x, Vicki Noon (u/s) 2x, Willemijn Verkaik 2x, Lindsay Mendez 7x, Laurel Harris (s/b) 3x, Alison Luff, Carla Stickler (u/s) 2x, Anne Brummel (s/b), Emma Hatton (s/b), Caroline Bowman 2x, Lilli Cooper (s/b), Rachel Tucker 3x, Hannah Shankman (u/s), Michelle Pentecost (u/s), Jessica Vosk, and Mariand Torres (s/b)
Glinda: Kendra Kassebaum, Katie Rose Clarke 6x, Chandra Lee Schwartz 2x, Jeanna de Waal 3x, Kate Fahrner (s/b), Alli Mauzey 11x, Tiffany Haas (s/b) 3x, Jenn Gambatese 2x, Jenni Barber 7x, Savannah Stevenson 2x, Lindsay K. Northen (u/s) 2x, Kara Lindsay 9x, Tess Soltau (s/b), Carrie St. Louis 2x, Ginna Claire Mason, Amanda Jane Cooper 3x, and Lisa Livesay (s/b)
02-08-2012 10:11 PM
Tyler Online
Super Moderator

(01-08-2012 09:24 PM)jaszon27 Wrote:  Mandy Gonzalez, Mariand Torres, Donna Vivino, Carmen Cusack, Eden Espinosa, Shoshana Bean, Victoria Matlock, Caissie Levy: "Ahahaha!"

Teal Wicks occasionally did a higher ending on ahaaahaa but said yeeeaaaaaahhaaaaaa instead.

Defying Gravity since June 2007
*Experienced Jackie Burns' "tell them how I" riff*
02-09-2012 06:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Optional High Notes Isaac E. 22 25,657 03-26-2017 06:35 AM
Last Post: Martello736