Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sophie Wright as u/s Elphaba
Lokie24601 Offline
User

Sophie Wright as u/s Elphaba
I know this forum is outdated, but, I was wondering if anyone else here had the luck to see Sophie Wright as u/s Elphaba like I did. From memory, I liked her a lot. Understandably, not as much as Jemma, but, I did like her alot. I was wondering if you had seen her, what your opinions of her were?

I remember liking her "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity", though she did suffer a little because of nerves. What did you think?

Wicked Count:
Australasian Tour x 3 | Broadway x 2 | 2NT x 1 | Int. Tour x 1
Jemma Rix (x2), Sophie Wright (u/s), Jennifer DiNoia (x2), Jessica Vosk, Jacqueline Hughes
Lucy Durack, Suzie Mathers (x2), Kara Lindsay (x2), Jillian Butler (u/s), Carly Anderson
01-02-2017 05:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LoveWhileYouCanWatchMusicals Offline
User

RE: Sophie Wright as u/s Elphaba
Yes, I've seen her. I pretty much had the same opinion of her as you. Maybe, most likely, we were at the same show? How did we not meet??? lol. But, yeah, her Defying Gravity was pretty epic and the crowd went mental! So, yeah she was great. I liked her.

Times I've Seen Wicked:
Australasian Tour (x3), Broadway (x 1)
?? 2011 : Can't remember the cast Sad I know I was in awe... I was too excited to remember things in detail Sad I also managed to lose the playbill :'(
Nov 16 2014: Jemma Rix, Lucy Durack
Apr ?? 2015: Jemma Rix, Suzie Mathers
Apr ?? 2015: Sophie Wright (u/s), Suzie Mathers
01-02-2017 05:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Western Sky Offline
User

I always felt that Sophie was the 2014-2015 season's equivalent of Zoe Gertz from the original 2008-2011 run. Neither were very strong vocally and both a lot weaker than the others. In saying that, she did bring a unique innocence to the role, but that was also probably due to her age and the amount of times in which she actually got to go on.

I am glad I got to see Sophie as Elphaba but I admit it is definitely not the right role for her. I've seen Sophie lead in several other shows since (in particular, Avenue Q and Kinky Boots) and she is definitely more suited to roles with more comedy and a different vocal range.

WICKED Total: 47
--------------------------------------------------
Cities: Melbourne (x 18), Sydney (x 5), Brisbane (x 2), Perth (x 4),
Singapore (x 4), London (x 6), New York City (x 8)
Elphaba: Amanda Harrison, Jemma Rix, Patrice Tipoki, Lilli Cooper, Ali Calder, Sophie Wright, Jacqueline Hughes, Jodie Steele, Rachel Tucker, Willemijn Verkaik, Jackie Burns, Mariand Torres
Glinda: Lucy Durack, Erin Hasan, Suzie Mathers, Carly Anderson, Amanda Jane Cooper
07-06-2017 08:58 PM
Lokie24601 Offline
User

(07-06-2017 08:58 PM)Western Sky Wrote:  I always felt that Sophie was the 2014-2015 season's equivalent of Zoe Gertz from the original 2008-2011 run. Neither were very strong vocally and both a lot weaker than the others. In saying that, she did bring a unique innocence to the role, but that was also probably due to her age and the amount of times in which she actually got to go on.

I am glad I got to see Sophie as Elphaba but I admit it is definitely not the right role for her. I've seen Sophie lead in several other shows since (in particular, Avenue Q and Kinky Boots) and she is definitely more suited to roles with more comedy and a different vocal range.

I can see where you are coming from. She wasn't the strongest but I felt she could have improved if she could have gone on more, maybe? You said you've seen her in Kinky Boots, I'm going in August - your thoughts?

Wicked Count:
Australasian Tour x 3 | Broadway x 2 | 2NT x 1 | Int. Tour x 1
Jemma Rix (x2), Sophie Wright (u/s), Jennifer DiNoia (x2), Jessica Vosk, Jacqueline Hughes
Lucy Durack, Suzie Mathers (x2), Kara Lindsay (x2), Jillian Butler (u/s), Carly Anderson
07-13-2017 01:45 AM
Western Sky Offline
User

(07-13-2017 01:45 AM)Lokie24601 Wrote:  You said you've seen her in Kinky Boots, I'm going in August - your thoughts?
On Sophie, or just the show in general? Kinky Boots is fantastic! One of my favourite shows - and in my opinion, the Australian cast in particular is the best KB cast worldwide.

The fact I've seen it almost 15 times across Melbourne and Sydney should say enough about my love for it. Tongue

WICKED Total: 47
Cities: Melbourne (x 18), Sydney (x 5), Brisbane (x 2), Perth (x 4),
Singapore (x 4), London (x 6), New York City (x 8)
Elphaba: Amanda Harrison, Jemma Rix, Patrice Tipoki, Lilli Cooper, Ali Calder, Sophie Wright, Jacqueline Hughes, Jodie Steele, Rachel Tucker, Willemijn Verkaik, Jackie Burns, Mariand Torres
Glinda: Lucy Durack, Erin Hasan, Suzie Mathers, Carly Anderson, Amanda Jane Cooper
08-02-2017 02:13 AM